Employment Law

Personal Injury

How do you tell employers about sexual harassment?

by | Feb 22, 2019 | Sexual Harassment |

When you encounter sexual harassment at your Missouri job, you may sometimes feel you cannot do anything about the situation. However, it is important for you to take action, and this means you need to know what you should do when someone sexually harasses you on the job. 

When a colleague or supervisor begins to sexually harass you, it is a good idea for you to deal with the situation immediately. Bustle.com says you should immediately begin a paper trail. It is a good idea to make sure this documentation is not saved on your work computer because you do not want a colleague to be able to delete this information. Instead, keep these files on your home computer. You should typically write down when someone said or behaved inappropriately, as well as what this person said or did. If your colleague or supervisor has sent you inappropriate emails, you should usually keep these. In some situations, you may seek therapy to help you deal with this workplace harassment. It is a good idea to make sure you have documentation about these therapy visits as well.  

Sometimes it may be helpful for you to speak to your industry union if you belong to one. A union generally has a collective bargaining agreement and this document may mention sexual harassment. Your union may also help if you choose to file a grievance. Additionally, it is a good idea to surround yourself with supportive people. You may sometimes feel that you are the only person at your job who is experiencing sexual harassment. However, you may have colleagues with similar experiences and it may help to speak to them about the situation.

When you want to report sexual harassment, you may speak to your supervisor most of the time. However, if your supervisor is the one sexually harassing you, you will likely need to speak to someone else. You may want to speak to the manager who oversees your supervisor or the head of your department.

This information is general in nature. It should not be used in place of legal advice.

FindLaw Network